Is Tori Belle a pyramid scheme? Right off the bat I’ll tell you the answer to that is no. But it is a multi-level marketing (MLM) company because you can build a team and earn money from multiple levels. Be aware, some people are very skeptical of MLMs and will automatically place them into the category of a pyramid scheme.
Read this full article to see the pros and cons of this company, and if it’s worth it to join the business opportunity. Because the company is so new, you may hear people saying it’s a good time to get in on the “ground floor” before there’s a lot of competition.
You may feel compelled to join just to get in early. But be sure to consider everything before joining.
Let’s dive in!
Summary: Tori Belle is a cosmetics company started in 2019 by Laura Hunter. The company’s main products are magnetic lashes and eyeliner. They also have a couple of eye shadow palettes, brow and liner kits, a primer and a makeup remover. Tori Belle is a direct sales company, but since you can get paid on multiple levels of sales, it is also considered a multi-level marketing (MLM) company. It’s not technically a pyramid scheme, although it has been called that from skeptics.
Recommended? While the Tori Belle products look good, and since it’s brand new, there’s not a ton of competion from other independent consultants (they call them Authentic Influencers) yet, I still would not recommend joining this opportunity. That’s because most people lose money in an MLM. And the ones that do make money make very little (especially after expenses). The ones that make a lot only make it because people at the bottom are losing money.
What is Tori Belle Cosmetics?
Tori Belle Cosmetics was started in June 2019, so it’s a brand new company with about 4,000 Independent Consultants at the time of this writing. Here is the owner, Laura Hunter, talking about the company and why she chose direct sales as the way to promote her products:
Laura says her business is different because:
- She creates unique products you can’t get anywhere else
- Her compensation plan isn’t confusing
- She allows Authentic Influencers to be an affiliate (independent consultant) not just for her company, but for any company you truly love
- They have training certificates and don’t just tell you to get on Facebook or Instagram
So far, there are only 22 products for sale on their site. This will likely change as the business grows.
How Does Tori Belle Work?
There are a few basic steps to being a Tori Belle Authentic Influencer.
- You sign up for s Starter Kit (price breakdown below)
- You get your own website, and you send people to it to make sales
- You earn a commission on those sales (see below how much you can earn)
- You build a team by recruiting others to sell Tori Belle
- You earn commissions on their sales too
Tori Belle is set up like any other MLM / network marketing company. You have to “pay to play” by buying a starter kit and then you earn commissions when you sell the product.
How Much Does Tori Belle Cost to Join?
There are two Starter Kits that you can choose from when you join:
9-5 Affiliate Kit ($129)
- 9-5 Magnetic lashes
- Magnetic eyeliner
- Makeup remover
- Brow & liner kit
- 3 months free website hosting
Ladies Night Affiliate Kit ($129)
- Megnetic eyeliner
- Ladies Night magnetic lashes
- Brow & liner kit
- 3 months free website hosting
Note: As long you keep the magnets clean, the lashes should last for 20-30 uses.
Once your 3 months free web hosting is up, you will pay $9 / month.
Here’s a starter kit unboxing video for your pleasure:
How Much Money Can You Make with Tori Belle?
How much money you can make with Tori Belle depends on many factors. But please note that almost everyone loses money when they’re in an MLM. Not only that, but about 90% of people leave an MLM within 5 years. It’s just the nature of the business.
This is a great article from The Finance Guy to explain why it’s so hard to make money in an MLM.
It’s a little too early to tell what the success rate will be for Tori Belle since it’s such a new company. They don’t yet have an income disclosure.
Tori Belle Compensation Plan
There are a couple of ways you can earn with Tori Belle.
- Retail Sales
- Build a Team
1. Retail Sales
You earn a base 25% of retail sales. You can earn 40% by selling $3,000 or more in a month.
You can also earn product credits starting at $600 in sales. You can use the product credits to buy products for yourself, use them for giveaways, or sell them retail.
You can also earn Quick Start bonuses by hitting certain requirements within your first 2 months. You can also earn bonuses by getting promotions within your first 6 months.
2. Build a Team
Here are the different ranks within Tori Belle and the qualifying monthly sales amount needed to stay active at that rank:
- Affiliate = $200 personal sales, no team sales required
- Advanced Affiliate = $200 personal sales, $600 team sales
- Leading Affiliate = $300 personal sales, $1000 team sales
- Senior Affiliate = $400 personal sales, $1500 team sales
- Nano Influencer = $500 personal sales, $2500 team sales
- Micro Influencer = $600 personal sales, $4000 team sales
- Influencer = $600 personal sales, $7000 team sales
- Leading Influencer = $600 personal sales, $12,500 team sales
- Senior Influencer = $600 personal sales, $25,000 team sales
- Director of Influencer = $600 personal sales, $50,000 team sales
You also get a percentage of your downline’s payment at each level. Once you get to Nano Influencer, you will need to have Builder Legs, which are legs with at least $1000 or more in team sales. Click here to see the full compensation plan.
You can also watch this video:
When looking at a compensation plan, it always looks as though there’s a ton of opportunity to make money as you move up the ranks.
The issue that many direct sales people fall into is staying active. If they can’t sell enough to product themselves to stay active, they end up buying the products themselves.
This causes them to spend more money than they make – and have an overstock of products. (Been there, done that myself!)
Is Tori Belle a Scam?
Tori Belle is not a scam. The products actually seem good and from the reviews that I saw of them, they work well and people are happy with them at this point. (Again, this is a brand new company, so time will tell if people continue to be happy.)
I would also like to point out that Tori Belle is not a pyramid scheme because they do have a product that affiliates can sell retail to customers.
The issue is that recruiting is generally where people in MLMs make their money (IF they make any money at all), and if it turns out that recruiting becomes more important than sales, then this could very well turn pyramid scheme-ish.
- They offer free shipping
- They pay up to 40% on retail sales
- No monthly quotas
- They dropship all products, which means you don’t need to keep inventory
- You’re allowed to promote other brands
- Unique product
- Fairly expensive products (the lashes and liner are $55 for a bundle, and a little more when bought separately)
- New company. This could be good if it takes off, but like any business, not every MLM will make it.
- Most people lose money in an MLM. (More than 99% according to this report on the FTC website)
- Even people high up make very little money after expenses
- Due to the nature of an MLM, if you’re making money it’s because people below you are losing money
- Being in an MLM is hard, many people are skeptical of them and their products
- Because of the constant turnover rate (88% is what I’ve read), you have to consistently be finding new leads, recruiting them and training them
I think if Tori Belle would have stayed with an online store and JUST had their affiliate program, I would have given this a thumbs up because there are quite a few pros here.
However, after looking into different MLM opportunities, I just can’t get behind them because I feel MLMs do more damage than good for most people who are in them.
Tori Belle Alternative
If you love the idea of working for yourself from home but are having trouble getting behind and MLM, then you may want to consider affiliate marketing. (Read my free guide, How To: Affiliate Marketing for Beginners to learn more.)
To put it simply, affiliate marketing is when you promote someone else’s product and you earn a commission.
If you love cosmetics, instead of promoting Tori Belle and hustling and grinding and recruiting, you could create articles and videos about different cosmetics that you like and you could promote them either via a blog and/or YouTube.
You can sign up for affiliate programs from the makeup companies that you like (and / or Amazon) and you would get a special link to add to your reviews.
When someone clicks on that link and buys something, that sale is tracked and you earn a commission.
In my opinion, it’s a much easier way to turn a passion into profit because you’re not dependent on any upline or downline. You also don’t have to worry about selling a certain amount each month to stay active.
Not only that, you can continuously increase the amount of income that you make because the content that you work on now can continue to bring you income well into the future. (Passive income.)
This affiliate marketing training platform can show you exactly how you can set up your own affiliate website, step by step. (And you can join free, no credit card required.)
Tori Belle is not a pyramid scheme because there are retail products that Authentic Influencers can sell to people. However, because recruting usually becomes more important than retail sales, MLMs generally can become very borderline pyramid scheme-y. But I’ll leave that up to the FTC to decide about Tori Belle. For now, it seems to be in the clear.
Is it worth it to join Tori Belle? In my personal opinion it’s not because there is a very good chance that you will end up losing money instead of making money. Even top people in MLMs don’t make as much money as you think because of the expenses they incur. (Unless they’re at the VERY top couple of levels.)
If you like the idea of promoting beauty products for a commission, why not try out affiliate marketing? I’ve done both MLM sales and affiliate marketing, and affiliate marketing is just much less stressful. Learn how to create your own affiliate marketing beauty site, step by step. You’ll get all the tools, training and support you need and you can make WAY more money than from any MLM.